Scott White and Hookins have enjoyed a successful relationship and been involved with ongoing work at Headington School, since 2007.
Working with various architects and teams, projects at Headington School have included:
- a new two-storey Music School building complete with large orchestral performance spaces, separate practice rooms and enhanced acoustic separation throughout
- a new three-storey ICT building with large room spaces, housed within the large pitched roof void
- substantial renewal of buildings and refurbishment of the Prep School campus in a phased development
- bursary refurbishment and extension
- a new state of the art two-storey Dance and Fitness Centre
- a new library and reading room, including conversion of existing gymnasium, cantilever feature mezzanine floor and glazed extension into the quad
- a sixth form extension with new glazed box, plus refurbishment of an existing building
- a striking new 2-storey steel framed Innovation and Creativity Building, known as The Hive, with lecture theatre and a large two-storey exhibition gallery, called The Emma Watson Gallery.
Many of the developments have been within the heart of the school campus and have required close liaison with the school leadership and management team, as well as the design teams, to ensure the health and safety of students, staff, site operatives and the public has been maintained. On one occasion, a temporary pedestrian bridge was used to allow safe passage of students across a contractor’s access route and, on another, a remote haul road was constructed.
The school always wish to ensure future maintenance is flexible, achievable and kept to a minimum for the long-term, using appropriately specified materials.
Sustainable drainage systems (SUDS) have been used throughout all the projects and there is emphasis on maintaining the overall quality, atmosphere and ambiance of the school campus and its setting in the surroundings.
We are delighted to be continuing our longstanding relationship with the School, in 2023, with their new Boathouse on the River Thames, near Abingdon, Oxfordshire, which is under construction on site.