The Nation Planning Policy Framework 2021
The Government has published their latest revisions to the National Planning Policy Framework, which sets out the planning policies for England and how they are expected to be applied. A number of the alterations have implications for SWH as a practice and for other organisations providing professional services to the construction sector, so here is a brief overview of what has changed and what that means for us and for our clients.
- In line with the production of the National Model Design Code, the revised NPPF puts a greater emphasis on beauty and on great design. Amongst the ten key characteristics of well-designed places are Movement and Public Spaces, offering great potential for Transport Planning and Civil Engineering professionals to bring forward innovative and high quality public realm designs and connectivity.
- The revised NPPF seeks improvements to biodiversity in and around development sites, and to recognise opportunities to “enhance public access to nature” – this gives the green light for more and better forms of SUDs schemes, responding to the local wildlife and ecology of development sites.
- With regards to Flood Risk Assessments, all potential sources of flood risk should now be taken into account within sequential tests.
- Encouraging faster delivery of colleges and hospitals presents an exciting challenge as SWH work with a number of education and healthcare providers to bring forward successful schemes for expansion or new facilities. Accelerating delivery is great news while ensuring that the highest standards are maintained in terms of quality and design.
- Adhering to the United Nations climate change goals is also a big step forward, as the 17 Global Goals for Sustainable Development address social progress, economic wellbeing and environmental protection.
Here at Scott White and Hookins we strive to provide a fully integrated, high quality service to our clients in a friendly, professional manner and to reflect our passion for innovative and sustainable construction through well-trained and motivated staff. We provide a comprehensive range of specialist consulting services within the construction industry:
- Civil and Structural Engineering
- CDM Consultants
- Sustainability and BREEAM Assessors
- Transport Planning
- Flood Risk Assessments
- Highway Engineering
- Event Engineering
If you would like to find out more about how we can make your next project a success, simply drop us a line at email@example.com