Rural Planning Update

 Do you have clients who would like to convert their unused agricultural buildings into dwelling houses? If you do, we can help?

Inside Hyde House, Winchester
Inside Hyde House, Winchester

Scott White and Hookins have over 50 years of experience in Structural Engineering, and we also have the regulatory know-how within our teams to assist with Planning and Transport requirements. 

Current legislation can be used to gain Permitted Development for change of use from agricultural to residential, but requires that the buildings meet a standard of structural integrity.

However, if a new structural frame is erected within an existing building, this does not constitute development, and this can be used to pass the structural test and gain Permitted Development (PD) for the change of use.

The existing PD threshold is 450m² floor area and/or three dwellings, however the Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG) is currently consulting on a possible increase to these thresholds.

Hyde House, Winchester
Hyde House, Winchester

Furthermore, if suitable structural design work is carried out on a redundant agricultural building, it is possible to install a mezzanine floor after gaining PD for the Change of Use.  This instantly doubles the floor area of the development, and is completely sound in Legal and Planning terms. 

In recent years we have completed similar schemes within Flexcombe (near Petersfield) and South Wonston, among other locations.

We look forward to helping your clients with their barn conversion needs. 

Practice News Structural Engineering Traffic and Transport