Senior Principal Designer/CDM Consultant (SP004_FM_HR_229_a)
Due to a high number of applicants we are not accepting calls from agencies. If your candidate is of interest we will be in contact in due course.
The role is for someone based at the Winchester or Sutton (if based in Sutton, split work time between Sutton and Winchester) . The person would report directly to the Partner(s) of Scott White and Hookins.
Main Purpose of Job
To work as a Principal Designer/CDM Advisor on a wide variety of challenging and interesting projects covering many different construction sectors throughout the UK, including healthcare, commercial offices, education, retail, mixed use and residential schemes.
To help ensure that Scott White and Hookins provides a first class principal designer/CDM advisory service, and to assist and mentor others within the team to do the same.
To contribute to Scott White and Hookins’ vision and strategic objective to provide a fully integrated, high quality service to our clients in a friendly, professional manner and to reflect our passion for innovative and sustainable construction.
- Keep abreast of CDM/Health and Safety matters relevant to the success of the practice.
- Seek and follow up opportunities to promote the Practice.
- Work normal hours of employment and any additional hours necessary to see that the work for which they are responsible is properly and efficiently completed.
- Undertake principal designer duties, as defined by the Construction (Design and Management) regulations 2015 (CDM) and as otherwise required of the role; including site visits, preparation of the pre-construction documentation.
- Liaise and communicate with clients, designers, contractors and others and to offer advice and guidance on CDM/Health and Safety issues.
- Assist in the preparation of health and safety /CDM documentation for contractors and others.
- Manage projects to the agreed project budgetary limits and time tables.
- Submit and monitor invoices on projects under their responsibility.
- Attend design meetings, site meetings and carryout site inspections.
- Mentor and assist more junior members of staff.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues and to keep them informed of issues on your projects at all time
Knowledge, Skills and Experience Required
- 5 to 10 years’ experience in the construction industry with relevant experience of CDM/Health and Safety issues in construction.
- Relevant HNC, HND, BSc or MSc (or equivalent) in a construction-related topic.
- Good communication, interpersonal and organisational skills.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure.
- Demonstrate initiative and a proactive approach to work.
- Ability to assess, prioritise and organise self.
- Ability to gather evidence to assess progress against agreed standards.
- Good presentation skills.
- NEBOSH Construction Certificate or equivalent
- Good understanding of appropriate legislation