Engineer – Civil/Highways (SP004_FM_HR_223_a)
Due to a high number of applicants we are not accepting calls from agencies. If your candidate is of interest we will be in contact in due course.
Main Purpose of Job
To work as a Civil/Highway Engineer (or Technician) on a wide variety of challenging and interesting projects covering many different construction sectors throughout the UK, including healthcare, commercial, education, retail, mixed use and residential schemes.
To help ensure that Scott White and Hookins provides first class structural and civil engineering consultancy services.
To contribute to Scott White and Hookins’ vision and strategic objective to provide a fully integrated, high quality service to our clients in a friendly, professional manner and to reflect our passion for innovative and sustainable construction.
- Keep abreast of technical matters relevant to the success of the practice.
- Ensure that the work for which they are responsible is properly and efficiently completed.
- Undertake engineering analysis and prepare calculations civil/highway engineering projects.
- Be proficient in the use of relevant analysis and design software, including Micro drainage, PDS, Civils 3D.
- Prepare civil engineering drawings using AutoCAD.
- Provide technical support to include report writing and presentations.
- Willing to attend design meetings, site meetings and carryout site inspections.
- Liaise and communicate clearly in a professional manner to clients, contractors and other designers and to offer advice and guidance on matters relating to your work.
- Work on projects in consideration to the agreed project budgetary limits and time tables.
- Maintain all necessary records.
- Mentoring and training more junior members of staff.
- To work collaboratively with colleagues in your office. In particular to work with your team leader and immediate design team, and keep them informed of issues pertinent to your projects at all time
Knowledge, Skills and Experience Required
- HNC, BEng, BSc, MEng or MSc in Civil Engineering from an ICE/IHT approved institution.
- Ambition to achieve Chartered status.
- Minimum of 2 to 3 years relevant local authority, consultant or design office experience.
- Extensive knowledge of the design manual for roads and bridges, Specification for highway works, and ICE standard method of measurement.
- Have a good knowledge of sectional highway agreements ie Section 38, 278 , 184 etc
- Ideally be able to use Civils 3D
- Ability to prepare drawings using AutoCAD in a Civil/Highway field