Scott White and Hookins are experienced with all stages of BREEAM processes, from pre assessments through to final certification. Our qualified assessors undertake BREEAM assessments on all types of buildings including new build, refurbishments and extensions. We are licensed BREEAM Assessors for the following building types:
- Education (including Schools and Further Education)
- Higher Education
- Other Buildings (schemes outside the standard BRE categories- including Courts, Prisons, Data Centres etc)
- In-Use (assessment of existing building stock)
- Code for Sustainable Homes
» What is BREEAM? (click to show/hide)
BREEAM (Building Research Establishment Environmental Assessment Method) was the world's first environmental assessment scheme for buildings and remains the most widely used. It sets the standard for best practice in sustainable design and has become the measure used to describe a building's environmental performance. To date, over 110,000 buildings have been certified and over half a million registered for certification.
It provides clients, developers, designers, contractors and building owners with:
- Assurance that best environmental practice is incorporated into a building
- Public recognition for low environmental impact buildings
- A benchmark that is higher than regulation
- Motivation to find novel solutions that minimises environmental impact
- A tool to help reduce running costs and improve the built environment
- A standard that demonstrates Corporate Social Responsibility
» How does BREEAM work? (click to show/hide)
- It uses a scoring system that is verifiable and easy to understand
- It is evidence based
- It has a positive influence on the design and construction of buildings
- It improves the operational management and use of buildings
- It sets and maintains a standard providing quality assurance and certification
» What is Pre-assessment Estimation? (click to show/hide)
A pre-assessment estimation is an initial review of the site, existing records, survey information and proposed design to predict the likely rating that would be achieved in a BREEAM assessment. It is generally based on information at an early stage of design development when there may be minimum amount of the evidence that will subsequently be necessary for an assessment. The experience and knowledge of the person carrying out the pre-assessment is therefore vital in obtaining an accurate prediction.
Scott White and Hookins can effectively and efficiently carry out pre-assessment estimations. A pre-assessment estimation is frequently required by local authority as part of a planning application. The submission of a formal assessment and certification may still subsequently be required. For small healthcare and education projects formal assessment and certification may not be required, but a pre-assessment may be necessary.
» What about Existing buildings? (click to show/hide)
The biggest opportunity to address the UK's environmental impact lies in better management and improvement of the existing building stock. BREEAM In-Use has been recently developed by BRE to encourage better building management and targeted improvements in existing buildings.
Scott White and Hookins are licensed Assessors for BREEAM In-Use.